Monday, August 16, 2010

Grapes of Wrath page 78- chapter 9

I liked this section of the book. Page seventy-eight through to the beginning of chapter nine is about the rest of Joad's family's reactions. Grampa and Granma seem like good grandparents to have. They're odd and completely crazy, of course, but that's the best kind. It's obvious that they love their family.

I love Al's reaction to finding out his brother's home. No matter how old they get, little brothers always look up to their big brothers and will always want to be like them. Even if they won't admit it.

Noah is my favorite of the family so far, mainly for they reason that he doesn't talk much. There's finally a character in this story that doesn't seem inclined to go off into long, rambling, random memories that have nothing to do with anything they were talking about before. He's spoken one or two sentences and that's it. I like the description Steinbeck gave of him that he's like a person in an empty house looking calmly out the windows at the world outside.

Chapter nine was awesome in my opinion. I love the little chapters that occur every few chapters and don't really have anything to do with Joad's family, but are still relevant to the time period and the setting. This one was one of the best so far. I love how they say that you buy their bitterness along with all their other possessions. It really captures the mood of that time period and puts it into perspective for me. I can almost feel the people's desperation and frustration. This chapter really makes you feel for the people who had to leave and see how reluctant they are to go. Again I also love the style chapter nine was written in.

So far, I'm finding that I am apathetic toward this book. I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would, but I don't know if I would read it again just for fun. Though I do like some of the various writing styles and in-between chapters, the subject matter and the vernacular of the characters are definitely negatives.

No comments:

Post a Comment