Monday, August 23, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapters 17, 18, and 19

Even though it's late now, I decided I'd finish these blogs. I already spent so much time on the book it seems like a waste to not finish it up. Same with the blogs. If I don't finish them eventually, it'll just drive me crazy.

These were some more good chapters. I really like Holden's view on the world. He sees the fake people and all the crap they pull, and calls them out for it. One thing I don't get, though, is why he goes to movies and does things he can't stand with people he sort of hates. I don't understand why he would put up with stuff like that if all it does is make him angry and depressed.

I loved it when he was telling Sally what he thought of the world and her. It may have been rude, but she totally deserved it. Looks like Holden's not going to decorate the Christmas tree with her this year.

I think it's funny when Holden's talking about boring people. "They don't hurt anybody, most of them, and maybe they're secretly all terrific whistlers or something." If only.

That movie Holden went to see in chapter eighteen sounded pretty ridiculous. Real life is never like that. I can only imagine how especially cheesy it must have been back then. I've said it earlier, but I don't get why Holden does stuff that will only make him depressed. Maybe he really does need to go see Luce's dad, the psychoanalyst. If he thinks Luce is an okay guy, he'll probably think his dad is alright too.

Even if Holden doesn't want to go home right now because of his parents, I really think he should. He even admitted in chapter nineteen that he was "lonesome as hell". If he went home, he could hang out with Jane again instead of having to hang up every time her mother answers the phone instead of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment