Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapter 3

I thought this chapter was pretty good. More characters are introduced. I didn't like either of them really. Ackley is absolutely disgusting and annoying. Stradlater seems like an okay guy, but I still don't like him much. Probably because I don't know much about him. He's only been in the book for a few pages by now.

Holden's fashion sense seems questionable to me. For some reason he bought a red hunting hat and is wearing it in his room this chapter. I didn't quite know what that looked like so I went on Google Images and searched it. In my opinion it shouldn't even be worn by hunters. I'm sure it has a practical use somewhere, but I wouldn't know what that would be. It seems sort of silly to wear, but he thinks it makes him look good, so I guess the reader just has to trust him.

I would hate to have any association whatsoever with Ackley. Holden rightly described him as completely unsociable. He has an unsavory personality to match his appearance. The sad thing is, if he would clean up every once in a while, he would probably be a nicer person. Part of the reason he's so sour is probably because everyone avoid him because he's so disgusting. If he wasn't disgusting people might spend a little more time with him.

Stradlater so far seems like that guy. The one every high school has. He has a nice build and is generally friendly, but sounds prone to being a jerk often. He gets the girls because he's good-looking and he knows it.

Holden is definitely my favorite out of the few characters so far. He tells things like they are. There aren't any frills or embellishments in his speech or narration. I love the fact that he loves to read. That just makes me like him that much more. This book has some potential right now, in my mind, to turn out to be a really good book.

No comments:

Post a Comment