Monday, August 16, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapters 5 & 6

I thought these chapters were okay. I don't know if I necessarily had a reaction to these chapters as a whole other than that they were just more chapters to read. There were some specific things in each chapter that I liked and didn't like, but they were pretty average overall.

In chapter five, one of the things I liked was Steinbeck's personification of the bank. He did a really good job of it, and I'm sure that the way he described it is still relevant today. He did the same thing with the tractor, and I think I liked that personification better. I also loved this phrase that Steinbeck used in chapter five: "Soft fingers began to tap the sill of the car window, and hard fingers tightened on restless drawing sticks." It's used when the book describes the bank workers coming to tell the farmers that they'll have to move. I loved the distinction between the city workers and the hard-working farmers. I also liked when Casy and Joad let the turtle go and wonder at where it's heading to.
The main event in chapter five is the banks come to foreclose the houses and plow the land. I understand that the banks needed the money and had to hurt the farmers to get it, but I think the situation could have been handled better.

Chapter six wasn't one of my favorites so far. In this chapter, Joad comes home to an empty house. While he and Jim Casy are looking around, they see one of the neighbors, Muley Graves, walking through the cotton close by. I don't like Muley's character very much. He and the others often talk a lot but never really say anything important. I do like how they hide in the cotton when Willy comes around though. I did also appreciate that this chapter finally explains in detail what Joad did to land himself in prison. Apparently, he accidentally killed a man while drunk at a party.

No comments:

Post a Comment