Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapters 5 & 6

These chapters were okay. This whole book has been alright so far. Nothing really important plot-wise happened in these chapters that I could see. Something may turn out to be important once I read further in this book, but nothing has any significance as of yet.

We did get a look into some of Holden's past and family life. He had a little brother named Allie. It's obvious he cared about his little brother a lot. He still carries his fielder's mitt with him, even when he's at school. You can tell he misses having his brother around.

I thought he should have gone down to the Annex to see Jane. If they were that close when they were younger, he really should have. I don't think it's weird that she kept all the kings in checkers in the back row and didn't use any of them. It does look nice, and it makes it harder to win. So if you win with all the kings in the back row, it just proves you're a lot better at checkers than your opponent.

My hastily formed impressions of Stradlater turned out to be correct. He all but makes Holden write a composition for him for English. He doesn't even think that Holden might turn him down. If I was Holden, I wouldn't have written it. My thought would be that he should do it himself. If he got mad at me, it's not like it would last very long. I would be leaving in three days, and I could handle him being mad at me for that long.

Also, if I was Holden, I would have gone to say hello to my old friend. Even if you're not in the mood for it, it's still polite. It's not like he had anything better to do anyway. My bet is that he'll come to regret not going. Especially when Stradlater comes back and inevitably talks about his date with her.

No comments:

Post a Comment