Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapters 13 & 14

In these chapters, Holden gets talked into having a prostitute sent to his room. My first reaction was disgust, but then I thought that it should be good for a laugh. He obviously didn't want a girl sent to his room, but the elevator guy, Maurice, is just someone you can't really say no to. Anyway, I'm really glad they didn't end up doing anything because I didn't particularly want to read something like that now. Holden gained a little of my respect in that chapter because he didn't take advantage of that girl even when she was literally right in his lap.

I find the idea that Holden is sort of atheist pretty interesting. I should have expected it, and it does make sense he would feel that way. His reasons for not liking the disciples are interesting too. I don't necessarily agree with him, but I can see where he would be coming from on that.

One thing I like about this book as a whole, and not just these few chapters, is the range of topics. In just these two chapters, the point of focus has gone from sex and prostitution to Jesus and the Disciples. Gotta love the rambling mind of a teenage guy when telling a story. I thought it was funny when he was stumbling to the bathroom after Maurice punched him. Maurice really shouldn't have done that. He did say five dollars at the beginning, but there are some people that are just crooks I guess. Anyway, I love how he has such a great imagination. That would be an awesome scene for a classic spy movie. But he wouldn't want that since he hates movies so much.

Holden's really depressed, and he keeps thinking about suicide. I'm not worried about him killing himself though. He's too sensible and particular to commit suicide. He'd have all these conditions that had to be perfect, but those conditions would never happen all at once, so he'd never actually go through with it. Not to mention the fact that this is a book with him telling his memories, so obviously he stayed alive for that.

No comments:

Post a Comment