Saturday, August 21, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapters 27 & 28

These chapters had parts that I thought were not worth reading at all and parts that were really awesome, so they balanced out into a pretty good couple of chapters.

Chatper 27 wasn't one of my favorites of the in-between chapters so far. It was about picking cotton. That's really all there was to it. My reaction was that it was useful to know because the Joads were going to be picking cotton the next chapter. Then I read the next chapter, and it gave basically the same description. So now I'm wondering what the point of chapter twenty-seven was.

Chapter 28 was an alright chapter. Ruthie is really starting to get on my nerves. She's what? Twelve? She acts like she's five, and she really can't afford to do that because her family needs her help with everything they're going through. She told someone that Tom had killed a man and was hiding out nearby. She just needs to learn to keep her mouth shut. If she hadn't told, Tom wouldn't have had to go away.

When Tom was talking to Ma and telling her about what Casy had said, I thought that was a good part. Like Tom, I had forgotten what Casy had said. I really like his idea that we're all little pieces of one big soul that everybody shares. I just really like the sound of that. I'm glad Tom brought it up again because I had forgotten all about it.

I was kind of surprised when Al announced that he and Aggie Wainwright we going to get married. He doesn't really strike me as the settling down type. One of two things must have happened. Either Al actually loves her, or he got her pregnant. Each one seems likely in its own ways. I don't get Rose of Sharon's reaction to the news. She just goes outside and hides in a bush. I really don't understand what her problem is lately.

No comments:

Post a Comment