Monday, August 2, 2010

The Grapes of Wrath Beginning Thoughts/ch. 1-4

So far, I think Grapes of Wrath is pretty decent. On a scale of one to ten, it would rank somewhere around a five or six with me. I like Steinbeck's writing style because he pays attention to detail without doing too much and boring the reader.

I didn't particularly like the first chapter. I thought there could have been a little less male chauvinism, but I understand that was the way of thought back when this book was written. Even without that, this chapter was as dry as the land it was describing.

I enjoyed the second chapter a lot more than the first. I especially liked when the truck driver would say something along the lines of "I don't mean to pry" or "I mind my own business" even though it was clear that he was prying and not minding his own business.

I didn't really get the point of chapter three. The turtle doesn't even matter until chapter four. Right now, my best guess for why the turtle is important is that it is some sort of metaphor. I think it's supposed to symbolize the land or maybe show how life still goes on by having the turtle plant a seed on accident. Even though I didn't get it, I still thought it was interesting to read a day in the life of a turtle.

Chapter three started to might some sense once I continued to chapter four. Once I read how Joad picked up the turtle to take to the kids at home, I saw how the turtle was actually relevant to the book. When I was reading Joad and Casy describe their religious service, all I could think was "They have a weird way of practising their religion". They would probably think the same thing about my church though, if I could describe it to them. I also liked how Joad's father "stole a house". Even though it sounds completely impossible, I think it would be awesome if his family actually stole half of the house, if only to say they stole half a house.

No comments:

Post a Comment