Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapter 23 - the end

These chapters were really good, in my opinion. Not only was I really excited that I finally finished the book, I thought the end scene was amazing. There was just something in it's simplicity that really stood out and grabbed my interest.

That whole thing with Mr. Antolini was weird. He seemed like such a normal guy. Who would have thought he would have maybe been a pervert? It's possible he had other reasons for petting Holden's head while he was asleep, but none come to mind quickly. Holden was absolutely right to get out of there as fast as he could. He regretted leaving later, but it's always better safe than sorry. No matter how annoying that saying is.

I thought it was really sweet when Phoebe decided she was going west with her brother. They really are very close; you can tell. Her joining him was really the only thing that managed to get Holden to stay. In arguing with her, he lost his desire to go, just like that. He really needs to learn to care about things more. If he could pick one thing and be really dedicated to it, I think it would do him a lot of good.

In class the other day, someone said something about Holden being a patient at a mental hospital. I can't believe I missed that. I re-read the beginning of the book just to find out if that was true, and recognized that it was. It makes complete sense. He actually does need mental attention. Hopefully it helps him and doesn't make him even more depressed and screwed up.

His fantasy of hitchhiking to the west sounded like a great idea and a bad idea at the same time. It would be a great idea to get away from all the things that make you angry, depressed, and tired. I think, though, you would start to miss the things you left behind after a while. It would get so monotonous to have to pretend to be a deaf-mute all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment