Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapter 15

This chapter was a good one. Holden is a weird kid. Part of the reason he's like that is that weird things always happen to him. Not to mention he lives in New York. Those things mess with a person. Anyway, I liked when Holden told of how he hated cheap suitcases. His room mate sound like a real fake. Which is an oxymoron by the way. He's poor, and he hates Holden for being rich. He still asks to borrow Holden's expensive pen and pretends Holden's suitcases are really his. That's ridiculous. I feel kind of sorry for Holden that he's never met very many people who he can really relate to. It's seems like he's always surrounded by losers and posers. No wonder he wants to kill himself sometimes.

The nuns were really nice people in this chapter, which I think is important. Too many books and other aspects of the media make nuns out to be annoyingly dedicated to their religion or the super-strict teachers in Catholic schools. In one book I read, one of the characters were afraid of nuns because they were too perfect. These ones in this book are actually real people. I like how Holden was afraid they were going to ask him if he was Catholic. I hate it when people ask me that too. Not all of them do this, but some just completely shun you if you're not Catholic. Which is true for people of all religions, I guess. It just seems like you hear more about Catholics than the others. Except for the Jehovah's witnesses, you hear a lot about them.

One of the few things I've found about Holden that I don't like is that he smokes a lot. I hate it when people smoke. For old people it's a little better because when they started smoking, they may not have known how stupid and unhealthy it was. When it's a young person however, I kind of just want to hit them. It's completely stupid. You'd think a person with as much sense as Holden would know better.

No comments:

Post a Comment