Saturday, August 21, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapters 29 & 30

I thought these chapters were somewhat better than a lot of the others. The reason behind that is probably because there was more "action", as it were, in these chapters. My reaction was pretty much like all the other chapters. If these chapters were a person, that person would be the type of person you treat with polite disinterest. I wouldn't be excited to see this person, nor would I dreading seeing this person. I would just see them. And that would pretty much just be it.

Chapter twenty-nine was one of the better in-between chapters. My reaction was disgust at our government. I can't believe that you had to be in California a year before you could get government relief. Those people obviously and desperately needed help right away. I know that sometimes you can't help everyone, but they weren't helping anyone.

Chapter thirty was really good in my opinion. The flood waters from the rain of the previous chapter continue to rise until they flood the car that the Joads and Wainwrights are sharing. I thought it was really sad when that tree fell and toppled the wall the men had made from the mud. That pretty much symbolised their whole lives right there. They try to stop the oncoming flood, but then something bigger than them comes along and destroys all they were working towards.

Rose of Sharon finally has her baby in this chapter. It's a stillbirth. The baby was never alive in the first place. I felt bad for her when she found out. As annoying as she's been this entire novel, she didn't deserve that. Especially since Connie left her and the others. At least something good came out of the whole disaster. She was able to save a little boy's father from starvation by giving him her milk that would have gone to the baby had it lived. I don't get why the family split up again. Their original plan of staying all together failed completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment