Saturday, August 21, 2010

Catcher in the Rye Beginning Thoughts + chapters 1 & 2

There are two main reasons I'm reading this book. The first is that I need more of these blogs for class. The second is that I've heard good things about this book from some people I know. It's been on my eventual "To Read" list forever now. This gives me as good a chance as any to read it now.

I like the point-of-view this book is written in. I forget what it's called, but I like the feeling that the narrator is talking to you and only you. I love getting into the character's head, and this type of narration is the most helpful to me in doing that.

Holden Caulfield seems like an okay guy to me. He's a believable character. Again, the narration style really helps bring his character to life. I think we could have been friends if he was actually real and wasn't such a slacker. Other than our drive in school work and stuff like that, we seem to have a lot of things in common.

I wasn't sure I was going to like this book at first. I didn't really know what it was supposed to be about. I hate starting a book that I know nothing about. The lack of information drives me crazy. I have to know what I'm getting into. Despite my oddities, this book seems like it has potential for me to really enjoy it.

At least Holden is honest about the fact that he can be a moron. I mean he did leave the fencing team's equipment on a New York subway. That was pretty stupid, considering the only reason they were there was because they had a match in the city. Though the other team members could have checked to make sure everyone had everything before they got off the subway. That type of thing would be something I could see myself doing. Which is sad, but at least I can relate to the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment