Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapters 9 & 10

These chapters were weird. That's all I have to say. The first one was okay, but nothing really happened. He got a room in a shady hotel. He tried to think of someone he could call because he felt like talking on the phone with someone. It was really late at night though, so the only person he came up with was this one girl who a guy at Pencey knew. Calling up some random girl he didn't even know in the hopes he might get lucky was a bad decision all around. For one, it's never a good idea, and two, he failed completely. I would have felt bad for him if he hadn't have been so stupid in the first place.

The next chapter was pretty good if it was still a little weird. He should have just stayed in his room and read a book. The women he danced with were so rude. They didn't even pay attention to him while he was dancing with them. By the sounds of it, he was a pretty good dancer too. Such a shame. The women he picked where really stupid, like Holden observed. They kept thinking they were going to see some sort of celebrity. Why on earth would they see a celebrity in such a crappy night club at such a crappy hotel? I liked when Holden lied to one of them and said he saw Gary Cooper leaving the room. Like Gary Cooper would be there. And then when she told her friends about it she said she'd seen him too. That's so stupid it's hilarious, but also sad at the same time.

I don't think I particularly had a reaction to these chapters so far other than the mild one of thinking they were kind of weird. I never really react to anything I read until I'm done with it and can look at the book as a whole and form my opinions on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment