Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye Halfway Thoughts

Every time I type that title I feel like I'm about to start a Deep Thoughts segment on Saturday Night Live. I don't really know why, but it just feels like that sometimes.

Anyway, I'm getting sick of analyzing this book. I'm usually a very analytical person in other subjects, but I hate analyzing books in English. In order to reach the minimum fifty blogs, I have to analyse basically every chapter. Like I said before, in my recreational reading, I never start to analyze the book until the end. The only time I break that habit is if the book is either really awful or absolutely terrific. If the first I analyze whether it would be worth my time to continue reading the book, or just put it down. If the latter, I analyse it to see if I should be devoting more time to reading it. If it's just another moderately good book like The Catcher in the Rye is, I don't really analyse it until the end of the story. I just follow the story of the book and enjoy it. Only if something really shocking or exciting happens will I analyze it anywhere other than the end. None of these books this summer have had many thrills in them, which is what makes me dislike reading them and analyzing them so much. I'd probably have no quarrel with them if we didn't have to write anything about them.

As for symbolism and politics and such, I've seen none in this book so far. It could be that I don't really care enough about the book to be looking hard enough, that I'm dense and don't pick up on the subtleties of writing, or that there really has been nothing so far. To me it's just a decent story about an average sounding kid that I'm glad I checked out from the library. I don't think I would have wanted to spend fifteen dollars on this, but for free, it's pretty good.

No comments:

Post a Comment