Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapters 11 & 12

These chapters were pretty good. I think I liked these better than most of the others so far. Chapter eleven was cool because Holden gives some childhood memories of him and Jane. Chapter twelve was good because of Holden's thoughts on the phony people in the club.

I really liked in chapter twelve when Holden asks the cab driver about the ducks in Central Park. I think it's funny and kind of cute that he cares so much about where some ducks go for winter. The cab driver's reaction was priceless. It was so obvious that the cab driver didn't know what in the world he was talking about and was trying to cover it up by getting angry and blustering. Then when he switched over to the fish. He actually thought he knew what he was talking about, but he didn't at all. I'm surprised Holden didn't realise the man was a phony right off the bat. To me, he seems like the kind of person who's really good at spotting the phonies.

I love the last line of chapter twelve. "People are always ruining things for you." That's so true. Like Holden, I hate it when I have to leave somewhere because of this one person, even if I don't want to go. I guess it's really your fault for having a problem with the other people in the first place, but there are some people no one can stand.

Reading this book has made me feel kind of sluggish. Not that the book is boring or anything. I like it, but Holden keeps randomly feeling depressed, and that makes me feel that way too. I can imagine his situation and identify him, and that makes me feel what he's feeling to some degree. He does have reason to get depressed, though, being surrounded by all those fake and obnoxious people. It seems like the only other character in this book who isn't either obnoxious or phony is Jane, and she's only in memories right now. Holden should call her so he can stop being depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment