Sunday, August 22, 2010

Comparisons of Summer Reading Books

Even though I haven't finished The Catcher in the Rye yet, I thought I'd better do this blog now to make sure I got it in. Just in case I can't finish all of my blogs in the morning, I wanted to make sure this one was done.

Fahrenheit 451 was by far my favorite book this summer. I have always loved books by Ray Bradbury, so this one was practically already my favorite before I even started to read it. I loved the story, and the characters were awesome. There were a few rough patches that I didn't like that much, but they were overshadowed by the rest of the books epic-ness.

The Catcher in the Rye was my second favorite book this summer. I haven't read it all the way through yet, but I like what I've read so far. Especially compared to the other two books I read this summer for class. I've enjoyed this much more than The Grapes of Wrath and The Old Man and the Sea, but I haven't enjoyed it as much as Fahrenheit 451. Hence the second place ranking.

The Grapes of Wrath was an okay book all the way up to the end. The ending just completely ruined it for me. I liked a few of the characters, but the rest of them just annoyed me. The plot and action were okay, but I wasn't too interested in them.

The Old Man and the Sea was awful in my opinion. It totally deserves the fourth and last place in my ranking of the summer books. I thought it was boring and that the characters were boring too. Really the only good thing I can find to say about this book now is that it had a realistic ending. And that it was short and over with quickly.

All in all, the books this summer were definitely collectively better than the past two years I've been in Honors English.

No comments:

Post a Comment