Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapters 19 & 20

These chapters were, again, alright. I know I'm sounding repetitive, but this novel has a pretty consistent level of enjoyment for me. Unless some drastic events occurs sometime soon, I'll just continue to say that the chapters of The Grapes of Wrath are merely alright.

Chapter nineteen describes the owners of the large farms of California. It tells about how they start off loving the land, but then when they get more they forget about it and live for the money it brings instead. It's a sad but true fact of life. I don't see how they can be unaware of the resentment growing among the poor workers. I think they know about it but stupidly choose to ignore it. There are better ways to get what you want than using people who don't know any better and have no other choice. Despite how poor they are, I find it cheering to know they still help each other whenever they can. Such as when a baby dies in one of the camps, and the others all pitch in what they can to help the family bury the dead baby.

Chapter twenty was about the same standard as the rest of the chapters that came before it. At least Steinbeck is consistent in his writing. In this chapter, the Joads come to a camp which, like all the others like it, is called Hooversville. Tom gets into a fight with a deputy, but Casy takes the blame so Tom doesn't get arrested. In any other circumstances, this would have been brave, but the preacher would be better off in jail. Still, he did save Tom which is good.

Connie appears to run away in this chapter, to which I say it's about time. He was starting to annoy me, promising all those things to Rose of Sharon that everyone knew he wouldn't be able to do. I do feel bad for Rose of Sharon, though. She's going to have a baby in a world that she doesn't know anything about. That's going to be extremely difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment