Monday, August 16, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapter 7- page 77

I enjoyed reading this chapter. I don't get what it has to do with the story as of yet, but I liked it. I thought it was interesting to spend a day in the life of a shady used car salesman. I also thought the writing style was interesting. I think it's called stream of consciousness, but I could be confusing that for something else.

I thought this chapter was a nice break from the lonely, depressed tone of the rest of the novel. Now readers get to see someone who is actually doing good (though not necessarily honest) business. The used car dealer is better off because of the foreclosures instead of the other way around. People have to get out of town and go to California, so they have to buy the cars at that lot because they can't go anywhere else.

I thought the guy in this chapter was really bad, even for a car dealer. Everyone knows the dealers are tricky, but this guy is something else entirely. He sold that poor man a car that he bought for thirty five dollars for ninety dollars, two mules and a cart. And then he laughs about it with Joe, who is apparently the lot salesman.

Page 77 was a really random place to stop reading and start a blog, but it was all I had time for. Chapter eight is off to a promising start. I thought the reactions to Joad being home were funny, and I loved how the first question each of Joad's parents ask him is if he broke out of jail. I love how Joad's Pa calls his wife Ma like the rest of the family. There was this one phrase that I really liked. Steinbeck is describing the sounds you hear in the morning as "the secret noises of the dawn". I thought that was a cool way of phrasing it. I don't think he's as good as Bradbury, but Steinbeck's got some flair with word phrasing.

No comments:

Post a Comment