Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapters 6 & 7

I knew Holden would regret not going down and talking to Jane when he had the chance. He gets into a fight, if you can call it that, and loses with Stradlater over Jane. It was a pretty jerk move to not tell Holden what happened on their date, when anyone could plainly see that Holden wanted to know because he cared about Jane. I don't know for sure yet if he has romantic feelings for her, or if he was looking out for her like a big brother might. Either way, I thought his throwing a punch at Stradlater was entirely justified. Sometimes the only way you can get through to a moron is by hitting them.

If I went to Pencey, I would sure want to leave. I wouldn't have the guts to actually run away like Holden did, though. I love his parting line: "Sleep tight, ya morons!" Beautiful, yet simple, all at the same time. Even though he says he's a moron himself, I don't see it. Academically yes, but otherwise no. He's not fake like some of the other guys at his school, and he's not rude and disgusting like the others.

I hope Holden makes it to New York all right. His plan is to go and get a hotel room and lay low a few days then go home. He doesn't really have any plans after that. It's not a very well thought out plan, and I can see him doing something stupid again. He'd probably get lost in the subway system or get robbed by a pick pocket or something like that.

I'm excited to keep reading now. It seems like the plot is advancing and the action is starting to pick up. I want to know what happens to Holden once he gets to the city and what he does next. It seems like tings could either go really well for him, or things could go really bad. It doesn't sound like there's ever any middle ground for Holden anywhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment