Friday, August 20, 2010

Grapes of Wrath p 370- 405

This is the second part of chapter twenty-six. My reaction to this section was similar to "finally there's some action", but then the action fizzled out and my reaction went back to the detached interest of before.

I was glad when Tom found Casy again by accident. I know I've complained about him in previous blogs, but I kind of missed him. He's the sort of character that grows on a person. So I was pretty happy when he came back in the story. But then he gets killed. My reaction to that was kind of like "Why in the world was that necessary/ essential to the plot?!" Tom avenged him though by killing one of the men who attacked them. He really shouldn't have, but at the same time, he needed to.

This family would be really annoying to be a part of. Not just for the obvious reason that they have no work and no place to live. The men need to man up and start shouldering their responsibility, Rose of Sharon needs to stop thinking the world is out to get her and her baby, and the little kids need to stop acting so stupid. Really the only people who have their heads on straight are Ma and possibly Tom, a little. Ma's wearing out fast. The strain of keeping her family together is taking it's toll on her mind and body.

Tom should just let himself get caught again and put back in jail. He's less of a burden to his family there. They would know where he was at all times, and they wouldn't have to worry about feeding him. That plan would have it's drawbacks of course, but it's the best one I can think up that might help the family rather than hinder it.

I hope the family can get good, steady work at that cotton field they just stopped at when I stopped reading. They deserve it after all the hard work they've been putting in.

No comments:

Post a Comment