Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapters 11, 12, and 13

A lot happened in these chapters. Well, mostly in chapter thirteen which was really long. I liked these chapters, but I would like them a whole lot more if the only thing I had to worry about was reading them. Writing these blogs sucks all the fun from the reading. Sorry to complain, but it's true.

Chapter eleven was all about describing the vacant houses left behind the people moving to California. I liked the imagery and attention to detail in this chapter. It made me feel kind of sorry for the houses, like they were dogs that were abandoned, waiting for their masters to come back. This chapter was not essential to the plot, but it was good anyway.

Chapter twelve was about the road, where the road goes, and how people got on the road. The oh-so-famous around here Highway 66. It was in the same writing style as some of the previous in-between chapters. I still like it, though I don't think it was really the right style to use for this chapter. The people lost some of their edge, some of their desperation with this style that a more descriptive choice could have captured.

Chapter thirteen was a good one. This may sound awful, but I don't feel bad that Grampa died. He wasn't my favorite character anyway, and it seems like the rest of the family was the same way. the only ones that even showed their sadness were Granma and the little boy Winfield. They don't even get to bury him at home because in this chapter they're on the road in I forget where. At the beginning of the chapter, they drive through Oklahoma City, and Rose of Sharon and Connie start looking around at all the people. They point out the funny looking ones and start laughing so much they can't stop. This really reminds me of one of my friends and I. We've done this before on long car rides and it's a pretty interesting way to pass the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment