Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapter 8

I really liked this chapter. I thought it was pretty funny. Holden's lying ability comes out again in full force. He really lays it on thick talking to Mrs. Morrow. I'm kind of surprised she didn't realise he was lying. I guess Holden was right. Mother's can be a little insane when it comes to their children.

I found even more similarities between Holden and myself in this chapter. It's too late to call a cab, so he has to walk to the train station. He doesn't really mind though because he prefers the air. I do that sometimes too. Instead of riding the bus home, I walked because it's kind of nice to just walk somewhere.

Both of us also lie a lot. I don't lie to people I know, like my friends and family, but I do lie to perfect strangers sometimes. I don't do it as often as Holden though. It makes life more interesting. Especially if you have an average life. I like the fact that, since Holden is narrating it, I know right off the bat which statement is a lie and which one isn't. Some of them were easy, like the one where he said he was going home to have an operation for a brain tumor. But some of them weren't so easy, like the lies he told about Morrow. It was funny to read his thoughts compared to what he was actually saying.

I guess I didn't really notice it that much when he first said it, but his hair sounds really weird. He said that half of it was gray on one side. I think that would be interesting to see. I'm kind of wondering how it got to be that way.

I liked Mrs. Morrow in this chapter. She seemed like a really nice mother to have. Based on what Holden has said, it sounds like she deserves a much better child than the boy she has.

No comments:

Post a Comment