Sunday, August 22, 2010

Catcher in the Rye chapter 16

This chapter was pretty interesting. Not the most interesting so far, but not the worst either. This chapter is about how Holden kills the time until his date with Sally. He goes to a record store and buys a record for his sister then goes to Central Park and the Museum of Natural History to look for her so he can give it to her. It think it's sweet how much he loves his sister.

Holden gets depressed too easily in my opinion. He'd either agree with me or get angry that I'm poking into his feelings. If he agreed, I suggest he go see a psychologist or someone like that. Only problem with that is he'd probably think they were all phony. Which in my limited contact with them is mostly true. If he disagreed with me, I'd have to tell him to drop it because he's the one who wrote the book in the first place. Since Holden is only a fictional character and not real in any way, it doesn't really matter. I just think of random things like this when I'm reading. That's what makes me such a good reader - I forget the characters aren't real.

I love Holden's description of the Natural History Museum. He feels that some things should be able to be added among the glass displays. That some moments deserve to live forever. He knows that once you've been to a museum before, you don't keep going back because you really want to see the exhibits again. You keep going back for all the memories the displays hold. The atmosphere plays a big part in a museum's success too. Like the auditorium that smells like rain or the feeling of travelling back in time. I've always wanted to go to the Museum of Natural History in New York City, and it was nice to read a description of it that didn't sound like a museum trying to bring in people for profit.

No comments:

Post a Comment