Thursday, August 19, 2010

Grapes of Wrath chapter 23

I thought this chapter was really good. I like Steinbeck's simple way of saying important things. He doesn't hide behind metaphor. He just comes out and says what he means to say. He says it eloquently, too. To me, it's how you say things that is very close to being as important as the things you're actually saying. That's probably why I like poetry so much. One phrase I really liked was this, about the storytellers in the camps: "And the people listened, and their faces were quiet listening. The story tellers, gathering attention into their tales, spoke in great rhythms, spoke in great words because the tales were great, and the listeners became great through them." That so completely captures the essence of a storyteller - trying to be a part of something greater and bigger than just you. That's what I wish I could do more than anything.

I really liked the story about the Indian standing on the hill in front of the American regiment. If I had been one of the men there that day, I wouldn't have been able to shoot him, no matter what my officer commanded. It must have taken such bravery to stand up and challenge the army like that.

This chapter talks about what the people in the camps do for entertainment. I find it amazing they can still find so many things to be happy about after everything that's happened to them. That says a lot about their character and what kind of people they are. They deserve their fun more than most people. They work harder than anyone, and can barely make enough to keep their children fed.

Even though I typically don't enjoy listening to bands like the ones they have in the camp, I think one of their dances sounds like a lot of fun. When we learned to square dance in elementary school, I always had a great time. It'd be fun to get together with so many people and do a square dance sometime.

No comments:

Post a Comment