Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Journal #30: School Uniforms

I know that the journal topic is supposed to be defending whether or not Plains should have school uniforms, but I really don't care that much either way. I guess it really depends on what the uniforms would look like. Standard American school uniforms annoy me, but I really like the Japanese school uniforms. A lot of them look a lot less stupid than ours here in America do. It would be nice to not have to worry about what I was going to wear to school, but, once the novelty wore off, I think it would be pretty boring. Everyone would also look the same, which gets boring after a while as well as annoying.
If I really had to pick a side, I would say that Plains should not have uniforms. I personally hate being told what to do by condescending adults, and I'm sure a lot of my peers feel the same. Making me look like a knock-off prep school Barbie everyday would definitely not improve my sarcastic disposition. Also, once the novelty of wearing a uniform wore off, I would be really bored with uniforms. From a broader viewpoint, uniforms would also be a bad thing because they restrict students' creativity. Clothing is a form of expression after all, and I believe it is wrong for schools to take away that freedom. Not to mention how hard it would be on the teachers. If everyone looked the same, the would have an even harder time of learning everyone's names at the beginning of the year. They don't have too hard of a time with names right now because our school is so small, but I see no need to make anything more complicated than it needs to be. Since our school is so small, it really doesn't make sense to make everyone wear a uniform. We don't really have enough students to make it worth the ordeal of forcing uniforms upon everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment