Thursday, November 18, 2010

Reflection: Walden

The literary criticism I decided to read is titled "Thoreau's Walden and the American Dream: Challenge or Myth?". In this, the author presents the American Dream as one of two things: material gain and success or a dream of new beginnings. I admit that I like the idea of the second one better, but I am realistic enough to know that it is most often the first option that is the goal in today's commercial world. It's sad, but it certainly doesn't make me want to spend time in the woods in an almost pointless venture such as Thoreau did. Even the author of this article, Michaela Keck, admits that many have viewed Thoreau's endeavors as rather pointless, objectionable, and even hypocritical at times. On the one hand, I agree with the people who say that, but, on the other, I also disagree with them. I think what Thoreau did doesn't really count because he wasn't really that far from society, and he still went to his family's house to eat dinner with his sister on a regular basis. He didn't do exactly what he said he was, which discredits him in a lot of people's eyes. The thing that redeems him in my eyes is the fact that at least he tried to do something about what he felt. A lot of people only complain about the world and spout all these "philosophical thoughts" but do nothing about them. They just continue their annoying little lives and secretly hate their situation. Unlike those phonies, Thoreau actually does step back to closely analyze how he can change his situation.
This article brings up the point that Thoreau "shuns business as best he can and strives for 'voluntary poverty'"(Keck). I think this is kind of counter productive to Thoreau's grand scheme. Not to drag religion into a school work, but the Bible says we should work to be successful so that we can share what we have with those less fortunate. It seems to me that since Thoreau was so disgusted with the way the world was he should have been actively working to change it. As an influential man with influential friends, I believe he could have gotten many things accomplished.
This article really didn't take much of a stand on either side of the fence, instead preferring to sit in the middle of the question it poses in its title. Normally, this would annoy me to no end, but as I am unable to completely chose a side myself, I don't mind it at all. The author obviously knows more about Walden and Thoreau than I do, and presents a very well-rounded discussion of the topic they chose to write about. As far as the American Dream aspect, I really do not believe that the American Dream amounts to living in a shack in the woods, cut off from everyone else, no matter which of the definitions you accept as the true American Dream. I think what it really comes down to is that the American Dream is just being free to do what you feel you have to, such as Thoreau leaving society to reflect on himself and the world.


Keck, Michaela. "Thoreau's Walden and the American Dream: Challenge or Myth?" In Bloom, Harold, ed. The American Dream, Bloom's Literary Themes. New York: Chelsea Publishing House, 2009. Bloom's Literary Reference Online. Facts On File, Inc. http://www.fofweb.com/activelink2.asp?ItemID=WE54&SID=5&iPin= BLTTAD021&SingleRecord=True (accessed December 1, 2010).

No comments:

Post a Comment