Thursday, September 16, 2010

Journal # 8: Proofreading Video

That video was pretty funny. Taylor Mali is officially my hero now. I hate it when people don't proofread their papers or stories or whatever it is they are writing. I read a lot of fanficiton on the Internet, and it has gotten so bad with spelling and grammar mistakes that, even though it may be a good story, I won't read it if the author keeps making mistakes. I've even reported someone before for murdering the English language. They finally got someone to proofread it for them, so I considered my mission completed.

Anyway, back to the guy on "The the Impotence of Proofreading". I thought this video was epic. Hopefully it succeeds in its mission of getting more people to proofread, not just spellcheck, their work. He pointed out that, though a word may be spelled correctly, you could have still used the wrong word and spellcheck wouldn't notice. It's only a computer program after all. I have a piece of flair on Facebook that says "Spellcheck doesn't check stupid". Truer words were never spoken. He did a good job of staying on topic and using stupid spelling/proofreading mistakes to get his point across.

It even amazes me how many kids in my grade at school make stupid mistakes on their papers due to a lack of proofreading. I get that you can't catch all the mistakes you might have made. It's hard to proofread your own work because you know exactly what you were trying to say and just read it the way you imagined it. I always have my dad proofread my major papers for school, just in case I missed something. It's always a good idea because he finds a lot of mistakes that I had missed. I always have him check research papers especially. Nothing is worse than making a mistake on a research paper that you want to sound intelligent in. If you make a mistake, people might think that you don't know what you're writing about and be hesitant to believe your writing.

1 comment:

  1. I like your quotation "Spellcheck doesn't check stupid." You are right - if a person doesn't proofread and makes a mistake, that mistake could lead people to lose confidence in that persons credibility or abilities.

    ReplyDelete