Thursday, September 30, 2010

Journal # 11: Ethics/Values

Ethics and values are really similar, but they have important differences as well. The way I see it, ethics are what you think is right and values are what you see as important. I've never given much thought to either topic as it pertains to me, and I don't really want to today, so I really don't see how this journal is going to go anywhere in the span of 325 words.

Ethics for me mainly consists of common sense and general hospitality rules in the form of manners. The golden rule applies nicely in a question of ethics. Treat others as you would want to be treated pretty much sums it up. If everyone applied that, the world would probably run a lot smoother. It would also be kind of boring though, too.

As far as values go, I'm not really sure where I stand on that one. I change my mind a lot, so I don't think I can really pin down what's important in my mind at any given time. The one thing that's a constant is the value I place on a good book. I'm kind of old school that way, but I'd have to say that reading is one of life's more important things in my mind.

I don't really know what else to say in this blog. Ethics/Values was a pretty vague and general topic. I don't do well with vague and general, which is kind of surprising due to the size of my imagination.

The person most suited to write this blog would probably be a journalist. They have to deal with questions of ethics and values in almost every story they report on. Same with politicians. Their whole careers are built on their ethics and values. Not that they always follow what they say, but it's still an important aspect of their career.Everyone has to question their ethics and values every once in a while, but those two professions especially.

No comments:

Post a Comment