Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Journal # 13: Spirit

Every time spirit week comes around again I think of this cartoon that I love called Danny Phantom. In one of the episodes it's spirit week at Casper High School (the school in the show) and no one really gets into it except for the English teacher, Mr. Lancer who is really old and uncool. He apparently used to be a cheerleader and still has a lot of school spirit left. So now every time someone says spirit week, I get this image in my head of a balding teacher dancing around with "spirit sparklers". It's pretty funny actually.

It's a pretty well-known fact among my friends that I don't really have much "school" spirit. I just don't see why I should get all excited about a team that never even looks twice at any of the teams that I'm on. Scholastic team and the drama club never get any recognition. And the scholastic team has a much better record than the football team because, let's face it, our football team sucks. So I do have some school spirit, just not for the sports teams. I'm sorry if I don't get worked up like the cheerleaders for a team that makes fun of mine.

This year's spirit week has some really stupid and hard to do themes. Monday was Hat/Jersey Day, Tuesday was Cowboy/Cowgirl day, Wednesday is 80s day, Thursday is Class color day, and Friday is Spirit day. They're all pretty self-explanatory. They might sound easy, but I don't own any clothes that could fall into one of those categories, and I don't live in Springfield, so it's really hard for me to get into town to look for clothes. Then everyone in my class who is dressed up gets this really snarky attitude and asks me why I'm not dressed up. It's really annoying, and I get fed up quickly with having to explain my situation to my classmates who couldn't care less.

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you about all the dumb football players. I said something about that also in my journal. And, by the way, you are really snarky, but it's ok. It sounds like you are very upset at the world right now because your words are very direct and blunt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked how you pointed out how your teams don't get any recognition. I never really thought of it that way, and I totally agree with you on that. Our football team does suck! I also agree with you on how annoying it is to get practically yelled at for not wearing stuff for that day's theme. I think it is really funny how you remember spirit day with the memory of an old balding man:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. There are some of us that do pay close attention to the Scholastic Team and the Drama Club.

    While those like me make obvious statements of support, there are many silent supporters out there.

    ReplyDelete