Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Journal #43: Jazz Imagery on a Blue Train

The song Blue Train by John Coltrane was pretty cool. Made even cooler by the fact that the song title rhymes with his name. That's a pretty ringing endorsement from me considering that I usually don't go for music that doesn't have any words. This song made good background music as I did this blog and my many other subjects of homework.
As for imagery in this song, I obviously thought of a train as I was listening to it. Given the title, I'm sure that's only natural. It also made me think of being in a really classy restaurant/ blues club and listening to this song. I have a really good imagination, so it was easy to imagine myself there as this was being played way back when. This song also made me feel nostalgic for my childhood. I used to watch the two Fantasia movies all the time when I was younger. This song just seems like something that would fit in perfectly with the other songs in the movie. That means that, in addition to the two other images mentioned previously that I had in my mind, I also had this little cartoon version of the song running through my head in true Fantasia style. The cartoon was a messy thing about workers in a train yard. The workers look vaguely like the cartoon character Popeye. Towards the end of the song, when my little cartoon has played out, this song gets me thinking of street performers. Last winter in Chicago, I stopped to listen to this one performer that I found. He was really good, so this song brings back a pleasant memory of that time for me.
This song also seems like it would be good elevator or lounge music. Like I said earlier, it's easy to listen to it and do other things like homework, so it would be ideal to put in a lounge-type area or an elevator.

No comments:

Post a Comment