Monday, February 28, 2011

Journal #37: Reaction to “Whitman’s Language of the Self”

This analysis seems to be written in the style of Whitman himself meaning that there is no discernible style preference. Like many of Whitman's poems, it was uncomfortably lengthy. It was also contradictory, though that mainly resulted from pointing out all the contradictions of Whitman in his various poems. Bauerlein then went on to explain how all these contradictions were just a part of Whitman searching out his idea of Self. I did appreciate all the quotes from the poem. They helped me to understand the points that the author was making. Especially considering that I have not read the poem "Song of Myself" and do not intend to anytime soon. I especially liked the quote "But that before all my arrogant poems the real Me stands yet untouch'd, untold, altogether unreach'd, Withdrawn far, mocking me with mock-congratulatory signs and bows" (Bauerlein). This means that even though Whitman has spent all this time writing about his Self, he has not succeeded in adequately exploring or explaining it. This makes me like him a little bit better because Bauerlein explains the quote as Whitman calling his own poems arrogant. They try to explain Whitman's Self, but fail despite all their grand words. The fact that Whitman was able to acknowledge this makes me have more respect for him as a poet.
This article also talks about how Whitman's Self is not really authentic. He manipulated how others viewed him, so that they would see him as "the good, gray poet" (Bauerlein). I found it interesting that he even asked biographers to send him copies of their manuscripts so that he could tweak them the way he wanted. While I can see how people might want to make sure things were accurate, I think it is pretty weird and slightly inappropriate for Whitman to change things just so others will see a different version of his Self. This analysis helped me to understand Whitman a bit better, but also made me question some of his motives.

Bauerlein, Mark. "Whitman's Language of the Self." American Imago 44, no. 2 (Summer 1987). Quoted as "Whitman's Language of the Self" in Bloom, Harold, ed. Song of Myself, Bloom's Modern Critical Interpretations. Philadelphia: Chelsea House Publishing, 2002. Bloom's Literary Reference Online. Facts on File, Inc. Web. 3 March 2011. http://www.fofweb.com/activelink2.asp?ItemID=WE54&SID=1&iPin=MCISOM004&SingleRecord=True.

No comments:

Post a Comment